Sunday, May 31, 2009

Good is fine with me

I’ve been wondering whether or not to continue my public updates on our day to day accomplishments and struggles. I don’t mind sharing but Scott is more private than I am and doesn’t always want all of his personal health details ‘out there’ for anyone to see. It started as a way for me to answer the questions everyone was asking in a format that allowed me to spend less time on the phone and explaining the same things over and over. It turned into much more for me. It became a way to feel connected with others, share my story(Scott’s story really) , document an important series of events, and feel support from many people near and far. If it was only my story I would continue to blab away but it isn’t just me. I think Scott just wants to move on, not dwell on the past and be that ‘normal’ person he has always desired to be. He is getting tired of talking about health stuff. So this will be my last health update for a time.
So “How is Scott doing?” He would say ‘good’. It is true. As I often reflect on the past year and especially the past 4 months since his heart transplant it has been such an amazing journey! The roller coaster has leveled off dramatically and we’re coasting along nicely. There are still bumps and wobbles but the extreme ups and downs seem to be behind us. I know I sound like a broken record but I really would like those kidneys to shape up! It’s also a different life living immunosuppressed. When an immune system is deliberately held back from fighting off everyday germs, those everyday germs become a big issue! We are handwashing maniacs! Don’t be offended if you shake Scott’s hand and you soon see him pull out the hand sanitizer! It’s not just you.
Scott had a heart biopsy 2 weeks ago. It was the first that showed any sign of rejection at all. He was at a level 1 out of 4(4 being the worst). The transplant team is not worried at all about a 1. They have lowered Scott’s immunosuppressant medication so he can fight an infection he’s been slowly developing. It is such a balancing act! He has another biopsy this Friday. I hope it is still good. Scott keeps getting stronger – again slowly but surely. There are many pounds of muscle to rebuild. But it is coming.
So things are good. Not fantastic, not terrible, but good. And good is fine with me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! I just found your blog form a comment you left on Lindsay's blog.

    I too have had three open heart surgeries. My baby had a transplant last November. We got the not so lovely heart gene.

    Your family has been through so much! You will be in our prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete