Sunday, March 22, 2009
Dialysis - again
Today Scott went for dialysis. It is a 3-4 hour event. His kidneys aren't working enough yet. I keep saying 'yet' with the hope that they will recover. I'm trying to stay positive. It's really hard to stay positive every day. The slowness of changes is hard to take. I just want Scott to feel well, get up and walk and come home. It isn't happening that way. Scott is recovering from a traumatic event. One doctor, early on, said that the surgery that Scott went through was like standing on the road and getting hit by a car going 80km/hr. So, over 7 weeks after the surgery Scott still isn't walking. He is still having kidney problems, he still can't drink regular water/liquids and he is often discouraged. I had no idea that it would be this hard! I really appreciate all of the support we're getting though. Visitors do help lift Scott's spirits and get his mind off the harder things. Sometimes I think he is like an adult trapped in a newborn baby's body. He needs help taking care of all of his basic needs. Thankfully, he can communicate what he needs and wants. We are a long way from the breathing tube!! Scott has come a long way but sometimes the rest of the way is daunting. Tomorrow - more dialysis, swallowing assessment, teaching of anti-rejection meds, ultrasound of legs because of swelling. Maybe Scott will get a chance to eat or do phyiso sometime in there but it will be a busy day if all of that happens. We're still 'hanging in there' like Scott always says!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment